Monday, February 13, 2006

Olympic Moment

I just have to comment on the Olympics. I am such an Olympic junkie! I love, love, love ice skating. I love the snow boarding and speed skating. I am absolutely heartbroken that Michelle Kwan had to pull out of the competition. I have watched her since she was a little girl and have always loved to watch her perform. I will always feel she was robbed in Nagano. She was the epitome of grace, strength and elegance at those games and her performance was flawless. While I hate that she wont be competing I am in awe of her graciousness, her honesty and her integrity. She could have stayed and skated. It was her right to do so. But she loves the sport and the Olympics too much to do that, so like the graceful athlete she is she stepped aside. I shed tears watching the announcement and in the retrospective of her career that followed. I have always loved what a fighter she is. How many other skaters have retired from professional skating since the first Olympics she attended? But not Michelle. I admire that so much and I relate as I am so bad at quitting myself. She has said a few times she wouldn't rule out another Olympics. She would be 29 at the next Winter Games. No woman that age has ever won a gold medal in skating. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But I wouldn't count her out till she decides she's done. She's a fighter after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment